The main market of Brussels has been used as a market, since its creation beginning 10th century.
Vegetables and poultry were sold, but also birds maintained into cages for their singing…
At the end of 17th century, King Louis the 14th of France willing to conquer the Low Countries (name of Belgium at that time), bombed in 1685 the center of the City and the market. Most of the houses were made out of wood and burned for more than a week. Only the Town Hall made out of stone remained. As most of the market-houses were the siege of the craft-corporations, these competed to have their house built up again as fast as could be.They managed to do so between 1690 and 1693. All the buiding craftmen rushed to Brussels all over from Germany and France. They built all the houses, we can admire now.
Most of the houses were café’s, where people could meet, talk, and bargain after the market. The upper levels were habitations. The French poet Victor Hugo lived there being a refugee in 1848 as he couldn’t bear Napoleon the III. Nowadays, they are very expensive flat appartments
The house where Victor Hugo (19th C.French writer and poet on exile) remained.
Victor Hugo lived as a refugee in 1848. He took the opportunity to visit the battlefield of the Battle of Waterloo (1815) and to write a well-known epopee
There was founded in 1895 the Workers’political party. Nextdoor on the left ,was and is still the main house of the brewers. he decoration of all the house in Barocco-style.